Friday, March 15, 2013

After a While


In the mist of healing from the latest and most painful heartbreak yet, I received this poem from my father. 
The timing of it's arrival could not have been more perfect. These words completely resonate with me, as I feel like I am in the process of discovering these truths for myself.
I received it a few days ago, and have read it every day since. It has brought me strength, perspective, and hope each time I read it, so I wanted to share it with whoever may still read this - if no one else, my future self - in case I forget.

After a While


After a while you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn love doesn’t mean leaning and company doesn’t always mean security,

And you begin to learn that kisses aren’t contracts and presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your disappointments with your head up and your eyes ahead with the dignity of a woman, not the grief of a child.

After a while you learn that even sunshine burns if you get too much,
So you plant your own garden and decorate your own soul instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.

And you learn that you really can endure, that you really are strong, and you really do have worth,
And you learn, and you learn, with every goodbye, you learn.




Note: In researching this poem, I learned that it is an abridged version of the poem "After Awhile You Learn" by Veronica A. Shoffstall. The whole thing is also definitely worth reading.

2 comments:

Rebecca W. said...

I'm not sure if you remember me, I'm Chris Wallace's wife. Your post popped up in my Google Reader so I had the pleasure of reading you it today. :) I love this poem and just passed it onto my sis-in-law who is having a hard time right now. Thanks for passing it on, and I hope you are doing better.

labibi said...

I love this, Sara. Thanks for posting this poem - it really resonates true. I admire you so much and hope you are well. XO - V