Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Sure, I've got pictures of my own

Still pictures have always been fascinating to me. Not only can they be extremely artistic in capturing moods and altering perception but they also have the ability to do what many of us long to do; they press pause on time.
My interest in photography initiated in high school but it wasn’t until about 5 years ago that I finally bought my first SLR film camera. I fiddled with it for a while, but then left it to collect dust as the digital scene became more prevalent. For the last few years, I have been content with the little point & shoot digitals as they do take fantastic pictures, but slowly and surely the desire to learn technique in photo taking and the process of developing and printing resurfaced. So, as of this summer I finally realized one of my long standing goals of taking a photography class. The class turned out to be everything I was hoping for and more. I was reminded what it’s like to be more careful with each photo – making sure the subject matter, lighting and my positioning were all in check before snapping a shot. I also fell in love with the whole dark room experience. It was thrilling to create my first print and from there learn about all the different methods of altering photos with filters, light exposure, sizing etc.
I am by no means nothing more than an amateur at this point, but it’s been so fun to begin in the development of this new skill!
Anyway, here are some of my favorites from this summer:







6 comments:

Mike and Emily said...

They're fantastic! You're fantastic! Congrats on developing some sweet skillz!

Annie said...

these are awesome! where's the other one of rich's hand tho? post it too! xo

Todd Langston said...

I dig the pics!

The Gomez's said...

I love these!! You have skills! I want to see more.

Todd Langston said...

It was delicious!

Perhaps next time Gordon will give the "OK" for you to come also :)

Your always welcome at our house!

Annie said...

bboooorring. when are you gonna blog about mason jennings? ;)